Friday, February 29, 2008

Thinking Like an Assessor, Criteria and Validity, and Homework or No Homework?

In this week's chapters from Ubd, I can understand the importance of determining the types of assessment before designing lesson plans. I agree with Wiggins and McTighe, this is an unnatural process for teachers. Teachers are always creating lessons that engage students, spark their interests, and make it "fun". Then, when we have completed a section, chapter, or unit we give quizzes, tests, and sometimes a project (where fluff seems more valuable than the knowledge presented). Now the connection seems so obvious. We create the assessments first, to ensure understanding and transferability is met. Otherwise we are in the situation with the apple orchard, bobbing for apples, and making applesauce as was discussed in the beginning of this book. However, if the assessments are expressly stated in the curriculum, teachers do not have the liberty to choose their own assessments (that is, if the teacher were following the curriculum correctly). On the other hand, by doing this curriculum makers ensure that understanding and transfer are achieved and that teachers are correctly assessing the learning of their students. Is it possible to give specific assessments and also allow teachers the opportunity to choose which method they prefer?

As a math teacher, I am always finding myself looking for new methods of evaluating my students. After all, math seems to be so cut and dry, either they have the right answer or they don't, right? WRONG! While the answer is usually right or wrong, the methods students use to get the answer differ greatly. Some students use pictures, some use words, and some use formulas to answer a problem. I have even had some students try to use logical reasoning to determine the answer to a problem. I have attended several workshops on differentiated instruction, authentic assessment, and cooperative learning to develop new ways of "teaching" math. But as my Ubd group discussed, there was no time given to make the transfer of this knew knowledge. The only way the transfer could take place is if I spent time after the session to develop plans incorporating the new knowledge. It made me realize that I too have to allow my students time in class to take new skills explained and apply them appropriately.

"Criteria and Validity" in Ubd, sparked my memory about a workshop I attended on authentic assessments. In the workshop we discussed how to create rubrics. Since math is my passion, I need numbers to help me in assessing students grades. It is difficult for me to look at a project and say, "Well that looks like a B+ to me." I always felt that I needed to follow something, some criteria, in order to be fair to my students. I think that rubrics are a good way to grade objectively with assessments that are subjective in nature. This chapter brings up a valid point pertaining to "correctness". "We typically pay too much attention to correctness and too little attention to the degree of understanding." In math, this scenario is all too familiar. I am becoming increasingly educated in assessing student learning in real and authentic ways. As a result of this, I am more aware of the degree of understanding, and not merely whether the answer is right or wrong. Learning is a process, so the way we assess needs to look at the whole process, not just one outcome.

After reading chapter eight of Ubd, I thought about the ways I assess my students. One of the criteria we are expected to use in our grading is homework. In fact it is written in our grading policy, homework is to count for at least 20% of a student's grade. While I do not believe in loading students up on homework, some teachers do not share my philosophy. It can become burdensome for students and families when the student is expected to complete hours of homework after school. With the limited time parents have to spend with their children, who wants to be sitting at a table doing homework or yelling at a child to make sure the homework is completed? From a teacher's perspective, however, I feel that homework is a useful tool for educators in assessing student learning. It is another way we can look at a student's work and determine whether the transfer has taken place. However, this is not the only source of data for teachers, and I do not feel it should ever be the only source.

On a related note, March's issue of Educational Leadership has an article about homework (this was where I made my connection). The article explains how research has indicated the effectiveness of homework. Despite the research, the argument against homework is becoming more and more popular among parents and students. I often wonder if that is because students are expected to learn more at younger ages and parents are unable to assist their children, or are students over involved in activities outside of school and have difficulty finding the balance? The article also makes one point clear on both sides, "only assign homework that is beneficial to student learning instead of assigning homework as a matter of policy." This definitely goes against my district's policy for homework. However, I will stand my ground and assign only homework that makes sense for my class, not unnecessary busy work, policy or no policy!

3 comments:

Kate E said...

In one of my earlier posts I talked about the push we have had in my district to include as much cooperative learning activities as possible, but I feel that oftentimes, like you were saying we focus so much on creating "fun" classroom activities that we lose track of where we want our lessons to go. I was also interested in what you said about homework. In my school we are "required" to give 30-45 minutes of homework to our third graders. I assign homework each night, but only homework that is relevant to what we are learning. Busy work is pointless and makes kids dislike school!

Jay said...

I agree with you about the need of a rubric to grade objectively. When I began teaching in my district I was surprised to find out that the PE teachers had no rubric to follow when doing grades. They just looked at a check list and said "well that looks like an A" without any formal method to back up the grade. I like to base my grades on valid data, not they way their marks look on a grade sheet. I think a lot of teachers do that because it saves time but they may not be accurately measuring the learning of their students.

The Nature Boy said...

As a math teacher, I'm sure that the homework aspect of things is different than what I believe being a social studies teacher. It seems that at the middle school level, students have homework daily from their math and literacy teachers. Because of this, I only give homework when I feel it is necessary to reinforce something that we are discussing in class. I hate the teachers that "give homework just to give it" to make it seem like they are doing something in their classroom. At teh same time, I think that its ridiculous that you are forced to give homwork and also that you must account it for a certain percentage of their grade. So much for you having total autonomy in what goes on in your classroom!