Saturday, April 19, 2008

The NT Curriculum Development Project

I was utterly confused at the beginning of this project. Ubd explains how to work backwards, thinking about the desired results first and the learning tasks last. This was awkward at first, but it makes complete sense. It is funny how as a teacher I always looked at the assessments last. First I would fill out my plan book with what my goal was for the day (Students will be able to.....). I then would think about what I would do to cover the material. Then I would plan what activity (group work, game, individual work, etc.) I would choose to go along and reinforce the lesson. Finally I would think about assessment (a mini quiz, question and answer session, etc.). Now I am able to realize the importance of working backwards, by determining the desired results ahead of time and choosing effective ways to assess those results first, and by making the activities engaging and meaningful (not simply because it has something to do with the topic, such as the apple orchard scenario in Ubd).

As I reflect on this curriculum planning process, I must admit I was a bit skeptical in the beginning. While I understand the importance of working with others in groups to complete a task, and I do understand the whole two heads are better than one and three heads are better than two philosophy, I always felt group work difficult. Someone doesn't do their part, or someone goofs off when the group is supposed to be working. I was always in a group where I did the majority of the work and the rest of the group received the credit. I must say that while this project seemed stressful at times, my group members did the work they were supposed to complete. This made for a positive experience in planning new curriculum.

In addition to my group working well to accomplish this task, I felt engaged in the process. It was a topic I know about and have experienced first hand. New teachers will always be in my building, whether I am a teacher, administrator, or supervisor. By reflecting back on my past experiences and creating curriculum to support new teachers, I feel reconnected with this topic. While I am quite sure I will never forget my first year of teaching, it helps to take a trip down memory lane and remember just how lonely I felt. If districts begin to adopt the types of professional development that our class created, perhaps we will see more new teachers staying in the profession and truly making a difference.

Quote to live by:

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank...but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child."
-- Forest Witchcraft

3 comments:

Kate E said...

Go us! We are a great group:)
I agree with everything that you said in your post. I think that we were really lucky in our UbD group too. We have definitely learned a lot that we can take back to our individual schools.

Jay said...

I found backward design awkward at first as well. The more I learn about the complete process and by working on our NT project, the more I realize how beneficial it is to curriculum development.

The Nature Boy said...

You bring up some valid points. I agree it was weird to do at first because none of us knew or understood what the UBD process was all about. Afterwards, it makes a lot of sense. I also agree that having experienced something like being a first year teacher definitely helps in developing curriculum to help and support them.